Monday 5 May 2008

Smoking


As an ex-smoker it is quite easy for me to see why people nowadays still continue to smoke despite all the known health warnings. Growing up in a house full of smokers, you would probably think that it would put me off smoking. Sadly, this was not the case. Despite my parents warnings, I like loads of other people, bowed down to peer pressure. At the time I thought that it made me look good, and popular. The fact it didn't make me look good or popular wasn't my concern at the time, I was just glad to fit in.

Looking back now, I do regret taking up smoking. I gave up athletics, something which made me healthy so I could smoke on a 'cancer stick'. What made me stop smoking was the time I spent working in a pharmacy. Packs on how I could give up gave me the opportunity to do so, but not everyone has the same opportunites. It has become easier to give up smoking, websites such as: http://gosmokefree.nhs.uk/?WT.mc_id=ilevel_search_08.
Do I think smoking is "being bad", well in my opinion- no. People know the health risks they face, and what passive smoking does. So if they want to smoke knowing this, then it is their right to do so.

No comments: